Rich Raspberry Trifle Recipe
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 cups milk
- 4 egg yolks, beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 loaf (1 pound) frozen pound cake, thawed
- 3/4 cup raspberry jam
- 3 cups fresh or frozen unsweetened raspberries, thawed and drained
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds, toasted
- Fresh raspberries, optional
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine the sugar and cornstarch. Stir in milk until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer.
- 2. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir in vanilla. Pour into a large bowl and cover with waxed paper. Chill 20 minutes.
- 3. Meanwhile, cut cake into 3/4-in. slices; spread with jam. Cut each slice into thirds; place with jam side up in a 3-qt. trifle dish or deep salad bowl. Cover with berries. Top with custard.
- 4. Cover and chill overnight. Just before serving, whip cream and sugar until stiff; spread over custard. Garnish with almonds and berries if desired. Yield: 10-12 servings.
1 each: 369 calories, 18g fat (10g saturated fat), 160mg cholesterol, 178mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (33g sugars, 3g fiber), 6g protein
Reviews for Rich Raspberry Trifle
"Wonderful recipe made with fresh raspberries. Have made three times--rave reviews and cleaned to the last drop!"
"This is okay."