Rich Raspberry Trifle Recipe
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 cups milk
- 4 egg yolks, beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 loaf (1 pound) frozen pound cake, thawed
- 3/4 cup raspberry jam
- 3 cups fresh or frozen unsweetened raspberries, thawed and drained
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds, toasted
- Fresh raspberries, optional
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine the sugar and cornstarch. Stir in milk until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer.
- 2. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir in vanilla. Pour into a large bowl and cover with waxed paper. Chill 20 minutes.
- 3. Meanwhile, cut cake into 3/4-in. slices; spread with jam. Cut each slice into thirds; place with jam side up in a 3-qt. trifle dish or deep salad bowl. Cover with berries. Top with custard.
- 4. Cover and chill overnight. Just before serving, whip cream and sugar until stiff; spread over custard. Garnish with almonds and berries if desired. Yield: 10-12 servings.
1 each: 369 calories, 18g fat (10g saturated fat), 160mg cholesterol, 178mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (33g sugars, 3g fiber), 6g protein .
Reviews for Rich Raspberry Trifle
"Wonderful recipe made with fresh raspberries. Have made three times--rave reviews and cleaned to the last drop!"
"This is okay."