Rich Raspberry Trifle Recipe
Meet the Cook: The first time I served my trifle was for a family dinner. Everyone loved it! I've since found that it also goes over well at potlucks and at buffet dinners. Both of our children are grown. My husband and I have a market garden. -Betty Howlett, Elmira, Ontario
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 cups milk
- 4 egg yolks, beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 loaf (1 pound) frozen pound cake, thawed
- 3/4 cup raspberry jam
- 3 cups fresh or frozen unsweetened raspberries, thawed and drained
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds, toasted
- Fresh raspberries, optional
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar and cornstarch. Stir in milk until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer.
- Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir in vanilla. Pour into a large bowl and cover with waxed paper. Chill 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut cake into 3/4-in. slices; spread with jam. Cut each slice into thirds; place with jam side up in a 3-qt. trifle dish or deep salad bowl. Cover with berries. Top with custard.
- Cover and chill overnight. Just before serving, whip cream and sugar until stiff; spread over custard. Garnish with almonds and berries if desired. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Originally published as Raspberry Trifle in Country Woman November/December 1995, p29
Reviews for Rich Raspberry Trifle
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jul. 12, 2010
Wonderful recipe made with fresh raspberries. Have made three times--rave reviews and cleaned to the last drop!
Reviewed Jan. 21, 2010
This is okay.
More Recipe Collections
- Almond Recipes >
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Berry Recipes >
- Berry Trifle >
- Bridal Shower Recipes >
- Christmas Desserts >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Country Woman Desserts >
- Country Woman Recipes >
- Desserts >
- Make Ahead Desserts >
- Make-Ahead Recipes >