Rich Pumpkin Custard Recipe
- 3 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Dash ground cloves
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 can (12 ounces) fat-free evaporated milk
- In a large bowl, beat the egg whites, sugar, cinnamon, salt, ginger, nutmeg and cloves. Add pumpkin and vanilla; mix well. Gradually beat in milk. Pour into eight ungreased 6-oz. custard cups.
- Place the cups in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan; add 1 in. of water to pan. Bake at 325° for 35-40 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Serve warm or chill. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Rich Pumpkin Custard
Sort By :
Amazing. I made in twice this week! Since i'm a type 2 diabetic i cut the sugarback to a half a cup. My ramekins are a little smaller in diameter but deeper so i baked them an extra ten minutes.
Delicious! I don't have custard cups so baked in a pie plate for 55 minutes. My husband loved it! Will make again.
I made this last night and it was delicious. I don't have custard cups so baked it in a pottery pie plate for about 55 minutes. My husband loved it! Will make this often. Thanks for a great recipe!
I also make a simular recipe, but follow the recipe on pumpkin can, substituting low-fat evap. milk, splenda on occasions, but I don't bake it in the oven. I place it in a 2 qt. baking dish, set inside a 3 qt. bk'g dish to which I place HOT water, then MICROWAVE it about 5-8 minutes, remove, and fold edges towards the center and continue cooking, repeating as necessary until all is cooked. It is not a smooth-looking texture, but the taste and quick convience of microwaving more than makes up for it's appearance, plus it keeps the heat in the kitchen to a minimum and if the oven is in use for something else, it saves oven space.
I made this for Thanksgiving as a light dessert alternative. I used brown sugar and adjusted the spices slightly to match our family's traditional favorite pumpkin pie recipe. Great!