Rich Pumpkin Custard Recipe
"When I was on a low-fat diet, I couldn't bear the thought of celebrating Thanksgiving without my favorite pumpkin pie," explains Fort Wayne, Indiana's Mary Alice Dick. "So I altered the ingredients and created this thick pudding instead. Now I can enjoy the dessert throughout the year."
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min. YIELD:8 servings
- 3 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Dash ground cloves
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 can (12 ounces) fat-free evaporated milk
- 1. In a large bowl, beat the egg whites, sugar, cinnamon, salt, ginger, nutmeg and cloves. Add pumpkin and vanilla; mix well. Gradually beat in milk. Pour into eight ungreased 6-oz. custard cups.
- 2. Place the cups in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan; add 1 in. of water to pan. Bake at 325° for 35-40 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Serve warm or chill. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving equals 125 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 2 mg cholesterol, 220 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: 1-1/2 starch.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC