Rich Onion Gratin
A staple at many of our special dinners, this comforting casserole is a tasty change of pace from potatoes. The wonderful aroma is irresistible!Carla den Dulk, Modesto, California
8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 45 min. + standing
- 2 large onions, cut into 8 wedges
- 3-1/2 cups frozen pearl onions
- 3 cups sliced leeks (white portion only)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Place the onions, leeks and garlic in an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in.
- baking dish; drizzle with butter.
- Combine the cream, flour, salt and pepper until smooth; pour over
- onion mixture and stir to coat. Sprinkle with bread crumbs, parsley
- and paprika.
- Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 45-50 minutes or until onions are
- tender. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 3/4 cup equals 325 calories, 23 g fat (14 g saturated fat), 76 mg cholesterol, 205 mg sodium,