Rich Onion Beef Soup
When you're in the mood for soup that's big on beef flavor, reach for this robust recipe on beef flavor, reach for this robust recipe from Nina Hall of Citrus Heights, California.
5 ServingsPrep: 5 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 2 cups thinly sliced onions
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups cubed cooked roast beef
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) beef broth
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or additional beef broth
- 1 teaspoon browning sauce
- In a large saucepan, cook onions in butter over medium-low heat for
- 15-20 minutes or until tender and golden brown, stirring
- occasionally. Add beef and broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat;
- cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, mustard and sugar; stir in wine
- or additional broth and browning sauce until smooth. Stir into soup.
- Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until slightly
- thickened. Yield: 5 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 cup equals 208 calories, 6 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 57 mg cholesterol, 786 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 23 g protein.