When you're in the mood for soup that's big on beef flavor, reach for this robust recipe on beef flavor, reach for this robust recipe from Nina Hall of Citrus Heights, California.
Featured In: Classic Homemade Soup Recipes
- 2 cups thinly sliced onions
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups cubed cooked roast beef
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) beef broth
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or additional beef broth
- 1 teaspoon browning sauce
- In a large saucepan, cook onions in butter over medium-low heat for 15-20 minutes or until tender and golden brown, stirring occasionally. Add beef and broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, mustard and sugar; stir in wine or additional broth and browning sauce until smooth. Stir into soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Yield: 5 servings.
Originally published as Rich Onion Beef Soup in Light & Tasty October/November 2002, p60
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Rich Onion Beef Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review