- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup canola oil
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup strong brewed coffee
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1-1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips, melted and cooled
- 1/2 cup caramel ice cream topping
- 1 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. In another bowl, whisk egg, oil and buttermilk. Add to the dry ingredients and stir well. Slowly add the coffee until combined (batter will be thin).
- Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- For frosting, melt butter in a small saucepan. Add the sugar and milk; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 2-3 minutes. Remove from the heat. Add the melted chips and stir until blended. Pour over cake, spreading evenly. Drizzle with caramel topping and sprinkle with pecans. Yield: 12-15 servings.
Originally published as Rich Mocha Cake in Test Kitchen Favorites 2004 2005, p263
Reviews for Rich Mocha Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 14, 2012
"Very moist and yummy! Even if you are not a coffee drinker, you will love this cake!"
Reviewed Aug. 23, 2011
"moist and yummy great way to use excess coffee"
Reviewed Aug. 2, 2009
"Yes, it must be. Which cake is this, please?"
Reviewed Jul. 14, 2009
"That has to be the wrong photo."