Rich Meaty Vegetable Chili Recipe
This chili is a wonderfully flavorful with many different vegetables and meats. It is perfect to make sure your kids get their servings of vegetables. They will think it is so delicious and not know it is good for them.—Ed Horkey, Ahwatukee, Arizona
- 1 pound beef stew meat, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 to 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3-1/2 cups water
- 3 medium carrots, cubed
- 2 zucchini, cubed
- 2 tomatoes, cubed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium turnip, cubed
- 1 green or sweet red pepper, chopped
- 2 cans (30 ounces each) dark red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 bottle (12 ounces) chili sauce
- 1. In a large Dutch oven, brown beef and chicken in oil over medium-high heat; drain.
- 2. Add the water, carrots, zucchini, tomatoes, onion, turnip and green or red pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until beef is tender. Add beans and chili sauce; simmer 15 minutes longer. Yield: 16 servings (4 quarts).
1 serving (1 cup) equals 158 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 27 mg cholesterol, 406 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 13 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC