- baking powder; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating
- well after each addition.
- Pour into greased and floured 9-in. round baking pan. Bake at
- 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the
- center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing to a
- wire rack and cool completely.
- For filling, combine sugar and flour in a heavy saucepan. Stir in
- water until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until
- thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer.
- Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg
- yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle
- boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Gently
- stir in lemon juice, butter and lemon peel. Cool to room temperature
- without stirring. Place cake on a baking sheet; spoon filling on top
- of cake to within 1/2. of edge.
- For meringue, let egg whites stand at room temperature for 30
- minutes. In a small bowl and with clean beaters, beat egg whites and
- cream of tartar on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add
- sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high until stiff peaks
- form. Carefully spread over filling, sealing to edges of cake. Bake
- at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned. Yield: 6-8
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 365 calories, 11 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 153 mg cholesterol, 167 mg sodium, 61 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 7 g protein.
Wine: Sweet White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.