Rich Lemon Meringue Cake Recipe
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/3 cup milk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup water
- 2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg and yolks; mix well. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour and baking powder; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition.
- 2. Pour into greased and floured 9-in. round baking pan. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack and cool completely.
- 3. For filling, combine sugar and flour in a heavy saucepan. Stir in water until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Gently stir in lemon juice, butter and lemon peel. Cool to room temperature without stirring. Place cake on a baking sheet; spoon filling on top of cake to within 1/2. of edge.
- 4. For meringue, let egg whites stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. In a small bowl and with clean beaters, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high until stiff peaks form. Carefully spread over filling, sealing to edges of cake. Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 365 calories, 11 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 153 mg cholesterol, 167 mg sodium, 61 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 7 g protein.
Reviews for Rich Lemon Meringue Cake
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.