- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/3 cup milk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup water
- 2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg and yolks; mix well. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour and baking powder; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition.
- Pour into greased and floured 9-in. round baking pan. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack and cool completely.
- For filling, combine sugar and flour in a heavy saucepan. Stir in water until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Gently stir in lemon juice, butter and lemon peel. Cool to room temperature without stirring. Place cake on a baking sheet; spoon filling on top of cake to within 1/2. of edge.
- For meringue, let egg whites stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. In a small bowl and with clean beaters, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high until stiff peaks form. Carefully spread over filling, sealing to edges of cake. Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Rich Lemon Meringue Cake
Sort By :
"IMO, even though this excellent cake has 61 carbs ((a person with diabetes' nightmare)) it is worth every forkful!! TY for sharing!!! Definitely making for my husband for our Wedding Anniversary in August!"
"I have made this cake and it was a real croud pleaser. I've had several requests for me to make this when going to pot luck dinners and I am always glad to bring it. There is never a crumb of cake left on the plate. Oh, did I mention it comes out a pretty as the picture?"