Rich Italian Pasta Sauce Recipe
- 3 Johnsonville® Hot Italian Sausage Links (4 ounces each), cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 1-2/3 cups crushed tomatoes in puree
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh oregano or 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Hot cooked pasta
- In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven over medium heat, cook beef and onion until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain.
- Add the tomato sauce, stewed tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar and pepper. Stir in sausage. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in parsley and oregano. Serve desired amount with pasta. Cool remaining sauce; transfer to freezer containers. Freeze for up to 3 months.
- To use frozen sauce: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Place in a saucepan and heat through. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Italian Pasta Sauce in Cooking for 2 Fall 2008, p12
Reviews for Rich Italian Pasta Sauce
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Feb. 14, 2009
"this is a great basic recipe, any cook will always add a little of something more or less what ever is to there liking"