- 6 large onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup butter
- 6 cans (10-1/2 ounces each) condensed beef broth, undiluted
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3 bay leaves
- 10 slices French bread, toasted
- Shredded Parmesan and shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a large skillet, saute onions in butter until crisp-tender. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Add the broth, Worcestershire sauce and bay leaves.
- Cover and cook on low for 5-7 hours or until the onions are tender. Discard bay leaves.
- Ladle soup into ovenproof bowls. Top each with a slice of toast; sprinkle with desired amount of cheese. Place bowls on a baking sheet. Broil for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is lightly golden. Yield: 10 servings.
Reviews for Rich French Onion Soup
Sort By :
"I love French onion soup and this one hits the spot!"
"Love this recipe. Has always been one of my favorites."
"This was excellent served in a bread bowl with provolone cheese melted over the top!"
"Loved it. Cut in half for just the two of us. Would make again."
"Delicious! When our bread went moldy, we finished off the soup by adding macaroni - we liked it even better that way!"