Rich Fettuccine Alfredo Recipe
- 8 ounces uncooked whole wheat fettuccine
- 2 bacon strips, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small sweet red pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 ounces fat-free cream cheese, cubed
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
- 1/3 cup shredded Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1. Cook fettuccine according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large ovenproof skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels to drain.
- 2. Saute the mushrooms, onion and pepper in drippings until tender. Add the garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in cream cheese until melted.
- 3. Combine cornstarch and milk until smooth; stir into skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add the chicken, Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese and salt; cook and stir until cheese is melted.
- 4. Drain fettuccine; add to chicken mixture. Heat through. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese and reserved bacon. Broil 4-6 in. from the heat for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 6 servings.
1-1/3 cups equals 417 calories, 12 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 77 mg cholesterol, 561 mg sodium, 38 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 38 g protein.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.