- 8 ounces uncooked whole wheat fettuccine
- 2 Jones Dairy Farm Dry-Aged Bacon strips, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small sweet red pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 ounces fat-free cream cheese, cubed
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
- 1/3 cup shredded Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Cook fettuccine according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large ovenproof skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels to drain.
- Saute the mushrooms, onion and pepper in drippings until tender. Add the garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in cream cheese until melted.
- Combine cornstarch and milk until smooth; stir into skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add the chicken, Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese and salt; cook and stir until cheese is melted.
- Drain fettuccine; add to chicken mixture. Heat through. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese and reserved bacon. Broil 4-6 in. from the heat for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 6 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Rich Fettuccine Alfredo
"Wow! This was awesome! Mine wasn't as low fat as the recipe though - I used whole milk (because that's what I had) and reduced fat cream cheese instead of fat free. I left out the red pepper b/c my DH doesn't like them. Next time I make it I might sub in sundried tomatoes for the red pepper. I would definately serve this to company."
"My family loved this recipe and the bacon is what they thought made the whole meal."
"My family wasn't crazy about the flavor of the sauce and thought it was "too heavy" even for a rich alredo sauce. Loved having the bacon in it--then cooking in the drippings but I'm going to have to work on lightening the sauce up before I serve it again."
"This recipe made a nice dinner. It is very adaptaple to whatever else you would like to add. I had some leftover brocolli that I threw in. I never did add the mozzeralla cheese, but it was fine without. Very creamy and filling. Husband recommended adding shrimp next time."