Rich Clam Chowder
"I came across a chowder recipe I liked several years ago and have made just enough changes to give it a unique flavor...and feed a pretty large crowd. People always go back for seconds, then ask for the recipe."
—Teresa Dastrup, Meridian, Idaho.
22 ServingsPrep: 45 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 6 cups diced peeled red potatoes
- 3 large onions, finely chopped
- 6 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 3 cups water
- 6 cans (6-1/2 ounces each) minced clams
- 1-1/2 cups butter, cubed
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 8 cups half-and-half cream
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a stockpot, combine the potatoes, onions, celery and water. Drain
- clams, reserving juice; set clams aside. Add juice to potato
- mixture. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10
- minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Whisk
- in flour. Cook and stir for 5 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Gradually stir in cream. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2
- minutes or until thickened. Gradually stir into potato mixture.
- Add the vinegar, parsley, salt, pepper and clams. Cook 5-10 minutes
- longer or until heated through. Yield: 22 servings (1 cup each).