Rich Clam Chowder Recipe
- 6 cups diced peeled red potatoes
- 3 large onions, finely chopped
- 6 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 3 cups water
- 6 cans (6-1/2 ounces each) minced clams
- 1-1/2 cups butter, cubed
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 8 cups half-and-half cream
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a stockpot, combine the potatoes, onions, celery and water. Drain clams, reserving juice; set clams aside. Add juice to potato mixture. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour. Cook and stir for 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Gradually stir in cream. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Gradually stir into potato mixture.
- 3. Add the vinegar, parsley, salt, pepper and clams. Cook 5-10 minutes longer or until heated through. Yield: 22 servings (1 cup each).
1 cup: 318 calories, 21g fat (14g saturated fat), 85mg cholesterol, 675mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 8g protein.
Reviews for Rich Clam Chowder
"Fabulous! I cook the potatoes in 3 jars of clam juice and omit the water. I add 3 large chopped carrots. I get rave reviews every time I make it!"
"My husband &I love the richness of this chowder. I'll definitely make this recipe again! Great way to celebrate Nat'l clam chowder day!!"
"I detest any recipe for soup that uses flour as a thickener. Use cream! Sorry, that is just me. I hate the mouth feel of the flour. Butter and flour are so much tastier and authentic."
"This is the only recipe I'll ever use. It is creamy, thick and just a masterpiece. Definately a "kiss the cook, 5 star""
"That vinegar gives it the perfect little bit of zing that I love! I'm a professional chef and tweak it slightly more but when it's my soup of the day I almost run out of bowls, everyone loves it! Lol"
"Best clam Chowder I've had! Everyone loved it and will make it again & again"
"Family loves it when I make this. I add clam base for a more pronounced clam flavor."