Rich Chocolate Souffle Recipe
In Atlanta, Georgia, Linda Blaska serves this rich chocolate dessert when entertaining. The sumptuous souffle has a light, airy texture, yet its center is moist and almost fudge-like.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Bake: 45 min. YIELD:8-10 servings
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Add milk. bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add the chocolate and butter; cook until chocolate and butter are melted; stir until smooth. Remove from the heat. Add 1/3 cup chocolate mixture to the egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Stir in vanilla; cool slightly.
- 2. In a large bowl, beat egg whites until foamy. Add cream of tartar; beat until stiff peaks form. Fold into the chocolate mixture.
- 3. Pour into a greased 2-qt. souffle dish. Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Dust with confectioners' sugar if desired. Serve immediately. Yield: 8-10 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 132 calories, 8 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 97 mg cholesterol, 129 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC