- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Add milk. bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add the chocolate and butter; cook until chocolate and butter are melted; stir until smooth. Remove from the heat. Add 1/3 cup chocolate mixture to the egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Stir in vanilla; cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites until foamy. Add cream of tartar; beat until stiff peaks form. Fold into the chocolate mixture.
- Pour into a greased 2-qt. souffle dish. Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Dust with confectioners' sugar if desired. Serve immediately. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Originally published as Chocolate Souffle in Quick Cooking November/December 2001, p61
Reviews for Rich Chocolate Souffle
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Dec. 2, 2014
"Excellent! Gluten Free!!"