"You'd never guess this rich-tasting delicious chocolate dessert is much lighter than a traditional cake or brownie," says Carolyn Wolbers of Loveland, Ohio. "The applesauce adds moisture and helps reduce the fat."
- 2 eggs plus 2 egg whites
- 2/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups frozen vanilla yogurt
- In a bowl, beat eggs and egg whites. Add the applesauce, oil, chocolate and vanilla; mix well. Combine the dry ingredients; gradually add to egg mixture just until combined.
- Pour into a 9-in. springform pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Carefully run a knife around edge of pan; remove sides of pan. Cut into wedges; serve with frozen yogurt. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Chocolate Snack Cake in Light & Tasty April/May 2001, p55
Reviews for Rich Chocolate Snack Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Apr. 11, 2015
"Very rich and moist, tasted a lot like fudge cake."