Rich Chocolate Mousse Cheesecake Recipe
- 1-1/4 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- CHEESECAKE LAYER:
- 12 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 teaspoons coffee liqueur
- MOUSSE AND TOPPING LAYERS:
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 4 large egg yolks
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons instant coffee granules
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 tablespoon light rum
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 5 ounces dark chocolate candy coating, chopped
- 5 ounces white candy coating, chopped
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the cracker crumbs, sugar, cocoa and butter; press onto the bottom of a greased 9-in. springform pan. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
- 2. For cheesecake: In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Add eggs; beat on low speed just until combined. Add the sour cream, vanilla and coffee liqueur; beat just until combined. Pour over crust. Place pan on a baking sheet.
- 3. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until center is almost set. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Carefully run a knife around edge of pan to loosen; cool 1 hour longer. Refrigerate until completely cooled.
- 4. For mousse and topping: In a small bowl, sprinkle gelatin over water; let stand for 1 minute or until softened. In a small saucepan, combine the egg yolks, milk, sugar and coffee granules. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture reaches 160° or is thick enough to coat the back of a metal spoon.
- 5. Remove from the heat; whisk in gelatin until dissolved. Stir in the chocolate, rum and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla until chocolate is melted. Pour into a small bowl. Set the bowl in a larger bowl of ice water; stir occasionally until thickened.
- 6. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add confectioners' sugar and remaining vanilla; beat until stiff peaks form. Fold half of cream into mousse mixture; spread over cheesecake. Top with remaining cream. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- 7. For chocolate curl garnish: In a microwave, melt dark chocolate candy coating; stir until smooth. Spread a thin layer over baking sheet and drag a fork through chocolate. Let stand at room temperature until set.
- 8. Repeat with white candy coating; carefully spread over dark candy coating. Let stand at room temperature just until set. Holding a dough scraper or sturdy metal spatula at a 45° angle, scrape over the top of the chocolate to form striped curls. Decorate cake with curls. Yield: 12 servings.
1 slice: 677 calories, 47g fat (30g saturated fat), 218mg cholesterol, 230mg sodium, 57g carbohydrate (48g sugars, 1g fiber), 8g protein.
Reviews for Rich Chocolate Mousse Cheesecake
"Just wondering if there's anything to replace the coffee liqueur and the rum? Thank you!"
"It was an excellent addition to last year's menu."