Rich Chocolate Mousse Cheesecake Recipe
As if cheesecake wasn't enough of an indulgence, this version also features irresistible chocolate mousse. It's a delightful, do-ahead dessert for special occasions.Julie Dunsworth, Oviedo, Florida
- 1-1/4 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- CHEESECAKE LAYER:
- 12 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 teaspoons coffee liqueur
- MOUSSE AND TOPPING LAYERS:
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 4 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons instant coffee granules
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 tablespoon light rum
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 5 ounces dark chocolate candy coating, chopped
- 5 ounces white candy coating, chopped
- In a small bowl, combine the cracker crumbs, sugar, cocoa and butter; press onto the bottom of a greased 9-in. springform pan. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
- For cheesecake: In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Add eggs; beat on low speed just until combined. Add the sour cream, vanilla and coffee liqueur; beat just until combined. Pour over crust. Place pan on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until center is almost set. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Carefully run a knife around edge of pan to loosen; cool 1 hour longer. Refrigerate until completely cooled.
- For mousse and topping: In a small bowl, sprinkle gelatin over water; let stand for 1 minute or until softened. In a small saucepan, combine the egg yolks, milk, sugar and coffee granules. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture reaches 160° or is thick enough to coat the back of a metal spoon.
- Remove from the heat; whisk in gelatin until dissolved. Stir in the chocolate, rum and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla until chocolate is melted. Pour into a small bowl. Set the bowl in a larger bowl of ice water; stir occasionally until thickened.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add confectioners' sugar and remaining vanilla; beat until stiff peaks form. Fold half of cream into mousse mixture; spread over cheesecake. Top with remaining cream. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- For chocolate curl garnish: In a microwave, melt dark chocolate candy coating; stir until smooth. Spread a thin layer over baking sheet and drag a fork through chocolate. Let stand at room temperature until set.
- Repeat with white candy coating; carefully spread over dark candy coating. Let stand at room temperature just until set. Holding a dough scraper or sturdy metal spatula at a 45° angle, scrape over the top of the chocolate to form striped curls. Decorate cake with curls. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Chocolate Mousse Cheesecake in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2009, p190
Reviews for Rich Chocolate Mousse Cheesecake(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
More Recipe Collections
- Birthday Recipes >
- Bridal Shower Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Cheesecake Mousse Recipes >
- Cheesecake Recipes >
- Cheesecakes >
- Chocolate Cheesecake Recipes >
- Chocolate Cheesecake Recipes >
- Chocolate Cheesecakes >
- Chocolate Dessert Recipes >
- Chocolate Desserts >
- Chocolate Recipes >
- Christmas Desserts >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Cream Cheese Cheesecakes >
- Cream Cheese Recipes >
- Desserts >
- Easter Desserts >
- Easter Recipes >
- Father's Day Recipes >