Rich and Thick Split Pea Soup Recipe
We started a 39-day Soup Challenge to eat healthier after the holidays, figuring if "Survivor" contestants could last 39 days on little food, surely we could survive on soup! This split pea soup was a family favorite. —Debra Keil, Owasso, Oklahoma
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Cook: 7 hours YIELD:6 servings
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped fresh carrots
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 package (16 ounces) dried green split peas, rinsed
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 6 ounces Canadian bacon, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a large skillet, saute the onion, celery and carrots in oil until tender. Add thyme; cook 1 minute longer.
- 2. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Add the peas, broth and water. Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours or until peas are tender.
- 3. Cool slightly. In a blender, process half of the soup until smooth. Return all to the slow cooker. Add bacon and pepper; heat through. Yield: 6 servings (2-1/4 quarts).
1-1/2 cups equals 363 calories, 7 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 945 mg sodium, 53 g carbohydrate, 21 g fiber, 24 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC