Rich and Thick Split Pea Soup Recipe
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped fresh carrots
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 package (16 ounces) dried green split peas, rinsed
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 6 ounces Canadian bacon, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large skillet, saute the onion, celery and carrots in oil until tender. Add thyme; cook 1 minute longer.
- Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Add the peas, broth and water. Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours or until peas are tender.
- Cool slightly. In a blender, process half of the soup until smooth. Return all to the slow cooker. Add bacon and pepper; heat through. Yield: 6 servings (2-1/4 quarts).
Reviews for Rich and Thick Split Pea Soup
Sort By :
Just didn't care for this recipe at all, and I love pea soup.
I made this for friends and they raved about it. One way to kick up the flavor a notch is to add a small pinch of cumin- nice!
This soup was VERY bland, I didn't like the flavor or the texture. It makes 6 servings. I served 4 servings (1 per person. ) My kids didn't like it and I ate it but didn't like it. I threw the left overs away. I won't make this again! I felt like I was eating food at a nursing home.....texture was terrible!
this was good - but needed more flavor. this was 1st time making split pea soup - will search for a better recipe next time.
I also tried with small pieces of Smoked Turkey and it's delicious!
More Recipe Collections
- Bacon Recipes >
- Bean Soup Recipes >
- Carrot Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Soup Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Soup Recipes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Healthy Soup Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Soup Recipes >
- Pea Soup >
- Pea Soup Recipes >
- Slow Cooker Bean Soup >
- Slow Cooker Pea Soup >
- Slow Cooker Recipes >