Rich and Creamy Tomato Soup Recipe
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, cubed
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in tomatoes, soup, milk, sugar, basil, paprika and garlic powder.
- 2. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in cream cheese until melted. Serve immediately. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
One 1-cup serving (prepared with reduced-fat margarine, no-salt-added diced tomatoes, reduced-fat condensed tomato soup, fat-free milk and reduced-fat cream cheese) equals 157 calories, 5 g fat (0 saturated fat), 11 mg cholesterol, 457 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 6 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.