Rich 'n' Savory Tomato Soup Recipe
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 8 fresh baby carrots, sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Dash salt
- 1/2 cup refrigerated nondairy creamer
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute onion and carrots in oil until tender.
- 2. Stir in flour until blended; gradually add broth. Stir in the tomatoes, sugar, pepper and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Cool slightly.
- 3. Transfer to a blender. Cover and process until smooth. Return to the pan; stir in creamer and vanilla. Heat through (do not boil). Garnish with basil. Yield: 4 servings.
3/4 cup: 151 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 0mg cholesterol, 615mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 4g fiber), 4g protein Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 0 fat.
Reviews for Rich 'n' Savory Tomato Soup
"My family enjoyed this soup. It was sweet and tangy. Great with grilled cheese sandwiches."