- 1 large onion, chopped
- 8 fresh baby carrots, sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Dash salt
- 1/2 cup refrigerated nondairy creamer
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and carrots in oil until tender.
- Stir in flour until blended; gradually add broth. Stir in the tomatoes, sugar, pepper and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Cool slightly.
- Transfer to a blender. Cover and process until smooth. Return to the pan; stir in creamer and vanilla. Heat through (do not boil). Garnish with basil. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Rich 'n' Savory Tomato Soup in Healthy Cooking June/July 2008, p57
Reviews for Rich 'n' Savory Tomato Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jul. 14, 2010
My family enjoyed this soup. It was sweet and tangy. Great with grilled cheese sandwiches.
More Recipe Collections
- Carrot Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Soup Recipes >
- Cream Soups >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Diabetic Soup Recipes >
- Halloween Party Recipes >
- Halloween Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Soup Recipes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Healthy Soup Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Soup Recipes >