Rich 'n' Savory Tomato Soup Recipe
“This has to be the best tomato soup recipe ever," writes Cindy Reynolds of Decatur, Illinois. "I serve it, or variations of it, at least once a week due to popular demand. It’s often the ‘first course’ for company.”
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 8 fresh baby carrots, sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Dash salt
- 1/2 cup refrigerated nondairy creamer
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and carrots in oil until tender.
- Stir in flour until blended; gradually add broth. Stir in the tomatoes, sugar, pepper and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Cool slightly.
- Transfer to a blender. Cover and process until smooth. Return to the pan; stir in creamer and vanilla. Heat through (do not boil). Garnish with basil. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Rich 'n' Savory Tomato Soup in Healthy Cooking June/July 2008, p57
Reviews for Rich 'n' Savory Tomato Soup(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jul. 14, 2010
My family enjoyed this soup. It was sweet and tangy. Great with grilled cheese sandwiches.
More Recipe Collections
- Carrot Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Soup Recipes >
- Cream Soups >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Diabetic Soup Recipes >
- Halloween Party Recipes >
- Halloween Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Soup Recipes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Healthy Soup Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Soup Recipes >