This delicious dish puts a new twist on traditional macaroni and cheese. The three different cheese flavors blend wonderfully. Plus, it's easy to prepare—I plan to make it often when husband Ken and I start traveling.
- 2-1/2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 cups milk
- 8 ounces process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 1-1/3 cups 4% cottage cheese
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1-1/2 cups soft bread crumbs
- Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain. Place in a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. In a saucepan, melt 4 tablespoons butter. Stir in the flour, salt and sugar until smooth. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Reduce heat; stir in American cheese until melted. Stir in cottage cheese and sour cream. Pour over macaroni. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Melt remaining butter and toss with bread crumbs; sprinkle over top.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Rich 'N' Cheesy Macaroni in Country Woman January/February 2001, p29
Reviews for Rich 'n' Cheesy Macaroni
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review