Rich 'n' Cheesy Macaroni Recipe
This delicious dish puts a new twist on traditional macaroni and cheese. The three different cheese flavors blend wonderfully. Plus, it's easy to prepare—I plan to make it often when husband Ken and I start traveling.
- 2-1/2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 cups milk
- 8 ounces process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 1-1/3 cups 4% cottage cheese
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1-1/2 cups soft bread crumbs
- 1. Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain. Place in a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. In a saucepan, melt 4 tablespoons butter. Stir in the flour, salt and sugar until smooth. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- 2. Reduce heat; stir in American cheese until melted. Stir in cottage cheese and sour cream. Pour over macaroni. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Melt remaining butter and toss with bread crumbs; sprinkle over top.
- 3. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 508 calories, 31 g fat (20 g saturated fat), 101 mg cholesterol, 1,109 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 23 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC