Rice with Summer Squash Recipe
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1/3 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 medium yellow summer squash, chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- 1. In a large saucepan coated with cooking spray, cook carrots and onion in butter until tender. Stir in the broth, rice, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 13 minutes.
- 2. Stir in yellow squash and zucchini. Cover and simmer 6-10 minutes longer or until rice and vegetables are tender. Yield: 4 servings.
3/4 cup equals 123 calories, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 8 mg cholesterol, 346 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.