This savory side dish sent in by Billie Moss of El Sobrante, California has a light lemon flavor. Baked with feta and spinach, it's a lovely accompaniment to most main courses...and pairs perfectly with fish.
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cups cooked long grain rice
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese, divided
- In a skillet, saute the onion, mushrooms and garlic in oil until tender. Stir in the rice, spinach, lemon juice, salt, dill and pepper. Reserve 1 tablespoon cheese. Stir remaining into skillet; mix well.
- Transfer to an 8-in. square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with reserved cheese. Cover and bake at 350° for 25 minutes. Uncover; bake 5-10 minutes longer or until heated through and cheese is melted. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Rice with Lemon and Spinach in Light & Tasty April/May 2005, p64
Reviews for Rice with Lemon and Spinach
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jun. 4, 2011
"Followed recipe except for the dill weed because I didn't have any. Three T. of lemon juice gives the rice just a hint of lemon flavor. A great way to up the nutritional value of plain white rice."