Rice Vegetable Skillet Recipe
“This is a favorite vegetable casserole of ours," writes Arlene Lee of Holland, Manitoba. "It's very filling served over rice, and the cheese gives the veggies extra flavor. Great warmed up the next day if any is left!”
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 10 min. Cook: 30 min. YIELD:8 servings
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1-1/2 cups cauliflowerets
- 1-1/2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, cook onion in butter until tender. Add carrots; cook 5 minutes longer. Stir in the cauliflower, broccoli, rice and garlic. Add broth; bring mixture to a boil.
- 2. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until rice is tender. Remove from the heat; stir in the cheese, parsley, salt and pepper. Yield: 8 servings.
3/4 cup equals 164 calories, 5 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 14 mg cholesterol, 459 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 7 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC