Rice Turkey Casserole Recipe
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup uncooked wild rice
- 1-3/4 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup fresh broccoli florets
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup grated carrot
- 1/4 cup sliced celery
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 cups cubed cooked turkey
- 1 jar (2 ounces) diced pimientos, drained
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1/4 cup white wine or chicken broth
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1. In a large saucepan, bring broth to a boil; add the wild rice. Cover and simmer for 25 minutes. Add the long grain rice; simmer 25 minutes longer or until tender.
- 2. In a large skillet, saute the mushrooms, broccoli, onion, carrot and celery in oil until tender. Add the turkey, pimientos, salt, marjoram and oregano. Stir in the rice.
- 3. In a large saucepan, combine the flour, milk and wine until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the Swiss cheese and 1 cup cheddar cheese until melted. Add to turkey mixture.
- 4. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with the remaining cheddar cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 12 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 432 calories, 18 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 89 mg cholesterol, 744 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 32 g protein.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.