Rice-Stuffed Tomatoes Recipe
- 6 large tomatoes
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup cooked long grain rice
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 pound Swiss cheese, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- Cut a thin slice off the top of each tomato and discard; remove core. Carefully scoop out and reserve pulp, leaving a 1/2-in. shell. Invert tomatoes onto paper towels to drain. Chop reserved pulp.
- In a large skillet, cook beef until no longer pink; drain. Add the rice, parsley, basil, salt, pepper and tomato pulp; heat through. Remove from the heat; stir in cheeses.
- Spoon into tomato shells. Place in a greased shallow baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Rice-Stuffed Tomatoes(5)
Sort By :
Will make this again this week! It was a super hit and used the leftover stuffing for sandwiches which were also great! I used Lundberg's Wild Rice Blend, buffalo and fresh basil. Used shredded Swiss cheese since that is what I had. a touch of hot sauce would be good too.
Hi! Let me say how much I enjoyed this recipe! Not bad at all, thanks for sharing. But I admit that usual rice doesn't have that much taste, that's why I would recommend my favorite brand of basmati rice Diamond Pearl Foods Aromatic Indian Basmati Rice. Once cooked it stays really compact so that basmati really changed the whole dish and gave a kind of nutty flavor.. Loved it! Try!
I improved this recipe by making it with the following ingredients
6 large home-grown tomatoes
1 pound ground beef, cooked and drained
1 cup cooked whole grain rice
3 cloves minced garlic
Â¼ cup olive oil
2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
1 tablespoon fresh minced basil
1 tsp fresh minced oregano
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 cup Italian Blend Cheese
It was delicious! I'll definitely be making it again!
Neat recipe! Super taste and presentation!