Rice-Stuffed Squab Recipe
For company or family, you'll be proud to serve these golden game birds. the rich-tasting dark meat goes well with the savory rice stuffing, which includes onion, celery, fresh mushrooms and raisins.
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/2 cups cooked rice
- 1-1/2 cups chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup raisins
- 6 tablespoons orange juice concentrate, divided
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 6 dressed squab (about 1 pound each)
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 1. In a large skillet, saute celery and onion in butter until tender. Add the rice, mushrooms, raisins, 3 tablespoons orange juice concentrate, parsley, 3/4 teaspoon salt and marjoram. Sprinkle cavities of squab lightly with remaining salt; stuff with rice mixture.
- 2. Place on a rack in a roasting pan. Combine oil and remaining orange juice concentrate; drizzle over squab. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 1 hour or until meat juices run clear and a meat thermometer inserted into the stuffing reads 165°, basting frequently. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 579 calories, 47 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 71 mg cholesterol, 700 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 13 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC