Rice-Stuffed Roast Recipe
Meet the Cook: We're ranchers who live 23 miles from any town. Anyone who's here at mealtime gets fed! When I'm having a special couple out, I like to fix something like this. Face it, men love to eat - and we gals don't do a bad job of it either! My husband and I have eight children and 17 grandchildren. -Shirley Creamer, Lamar, Colorado
- 2 packages (6 ounces each) long grain and wild rice mix
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- 3/4 cup dried apricots, chopped
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/3 cup chopped water chestnuts
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 boneless rolled pork loin roast (about 4 pounds)
- 1/2 cup apricot preserves
- Prepare rice according to package directions. Meanwhile, pour boiling water over apricots; let stand for 20 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet, saute the mushrooms, onions, red pepper and garlic in butter until tender, about 4 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in the rice, apricots, water chestnuts, parsley, salt and pepper.
- Untie roast and spread 1-1/4 cups of rice mixture inside. Place the remaining stuffing in a covered 2-qt. casserole; set aside.
- Retie roast and place on a rack in a greased roasting pan. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 2 to 2-1/2 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 160°. During the last 30 minutes, baste roast with preserves and bake the extra rice stuffing. Let roast stand 10 minutes before slicing. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Originally published as Rice-Stuffed Roast in Country Woman January/February 1997, p33
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Rice-Stuffed Roast(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Country Woman Dinner Recipes >
- Country Woman Recipes >
- Country Woman Side Dishes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Mushroom Main Dish Recipes >
- Mushroom Recipes >
- Mushroom Side Dishes >
- Pork Dinner Recipes >
- Pork Main Dishes >
- Pork Recipes >
- Pork Roast Recipes >
- Rice Dinner >
- Rice Recipes >
- Roast Recipes >