Rice-Stuffed Flank Steak Recipe
- 1 beef flank steak (3/4 pound)
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon Liquid Smoke, optional
- 3/4 cup fresh broccoli florets, chopped
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/2 cup uncooked instant rice
- 2 ounces smoked Gouda cheese, shredded
- 1/8 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1. Starting along one long side, cut a horizontal slit through the steak to within 1/2 in. of the opposite side, forming a pocket.
- 2. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, garlic powder and Liquid Smoke if desired; add the steak. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the broccoli, water, mushrooms, onion and red pepper. Bring to a boil. Stir in rice; cover and remove from the heat. Let stand for 5-10 minutes or until water is absorbed. Fluff with a fork; stir in the remaining ingredients.
- 4. Drain and discard marinade. Stuff steak with 1 cup rice mixture. Transfer to an 8-in. square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Place remaining rice mixture around stuffed steak. Cover and bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until meat is tender. Yield: 2 servings.
1 serving equals 458 calories, 21 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 105 mg cholesterol, 550 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 39 g protein.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.