Rice-Stuffed Cornish Hens Recipe
- 1/3 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons Diamond of California Slivered Almonds
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained and chopped
- 2 Cornish game hens (20 to 24 ounces each)
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a saucepan, cook and stir the rice, onion and almonds in 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat for 5 minutes or until rice is lightly browned. Stir in the water, bouillon, lemon juice and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 16-20 minutes or until rice is tender. Stir in mushrooms.
- Sprinkle outside and cavity of hens with pepper and remaining salt. Stuff hens with rice mixture. Place on a rack in a shallow roasting pan coated with cooking spray. Melt remaining butter; brush half over hens.
- Cover and bake at 400° for 25-35 minutes longer or until juices run clear and a meat thermometer reads 180° for hens and 165° for stuffing. Yield: 2 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Rice-Stuffed Cornish Hens(1)
Sort By :
The rice part was very, very good. The hens were ok. A bit complicated to eat gracefully. I found the entire dish to be a bit greasy for my taste. I might make the rice part again to serve as a separate side dish. The hens took 45 minutes in the oven for me.
More Recipe Collections
- Almond Recipes >
- Chicken Dinner Recipes >
- Cooking For Two >
- Cooking For Two Magazine >
- Cooking For Two Recipes >
- Cornish Hen Recipes >
- Dinner for Two >
- Dinner For Two Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Nut Recipes >
- Rice Dinner >
- Rice Recipes >