Rice-Stuffed Butternut Squash Recipe
- 1 small butternut squash (1-1/2 pounds)
- 3/4 cup cooked long grain and wild rice
- 1/3 cup ricotta cheese
- 3 tablespoons dried cranberries
- 3 tablespoons mango chutney
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1. Cut squash in half lengthwise; discard seeds. Cut a thin slice from the bottom of each half so it sits flat. Place cut side down in an 11x7-in. baking dish; add 1/2 in. of hot water. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes.
- 2. Drain water from pan; turn squash cut side up. When cool enough to handle, scoop out pulp, leaving about a 1/4-in. shell.
- 3. In a large bowl, combine the pulp, rice, cheese, cranberries, chutney, onion, curry powder, salt and pepper. Spoon into squash shells. Dot with butter. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until squash is tender. Yield: 2 servings.
1/2 squash (prepared with reduced-fat ricotta and reduced-fat butter) equals 386 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 17 mg cholesterol, 908 mg sodium, 82 g carbohydrate, 11 g fiber, 9 g protein.