Rice-Stuffed Acorn Squash
We often make this side dish in the fall, after harvesting fresh squash from our garden. A hint of Asian flavor offers a different, unexpected accent. I especially enjoy the pleasant flavor combination of mozzarella and ginger.
—Lydia Garcia, Gouldsboro, Maine
More Rice Side Dish Recipes »
4 ServingsPrep: 45 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 2 large acorn squash
- 3/4 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 medium tart apples, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 3 teaspoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- Cut squash in half; remove seeds. Place cut side down in a greased
- 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 40-45
- minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, bring the rice, water and soy sauce
- to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-18 minutes or until
- liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.
- In a large skillet, saute onion in butter until almost tender. Add
- apples; saute for 3 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in the rice,