Rice-Stuffed Acorn Squash Recipe
We often make this side dish in the fall, after harvesting fresh squash from our garden. A hint of Asian flavor offers a different, unexpected accent. I especially enjoy the pleasant flavor combination of mozzarella and ginger. —Lydia Garcia, Gouldsboro, Maine
More Rice Side Dish Recipes »
- 2 large acorn squash
- 3/4 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 medium tart apples, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 3 teaspoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- Cut squash in half; remove seeds. Place cut side down in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, bring the rice, water and soy sauce to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-18 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.
- In a large skillet, saute onion in butter until almost tender. Add apples; saute for 3 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in the rice, cheese, walnuts, cream, vinegar, honey, ginger and curry.
- Turn squash over; stuff with rice mixture. Bake, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Rice-Stuffed Acorn Squash in Taste of Home October/November 2007, p41
Reviews for Rice-Stuffed Acorn Squash
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Oct. 16, 2008
Reviewed Oct. 11, 2008
This recipe is fantastic! The flavors are just right for a cool, breezy day and it's even better as a left over. I substitute chicken for the apples and it makes it the perfect one dish meal!
More Recipe Collections
- Acorn Squash Recipes >
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Apple Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Grains Side Dish Recipes >