Rice Spinach Casserole
"This nicely seasoned casserole combines popular rice and the goodness of fresh spinach," says Mathilda Navias of Tiffin, Ohio. "Topped with Parmesan cheese, it's a savory side dish with any meat."
8 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 package (10 ounces) fresh spinach, torn
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in oil until tender. Add rice; cook
- and stir for 2 minutes. Add broth and water; bring to a boil. Reduce
- heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Stir in the spinach, salt and
- pepper; cook until spinach is wilted.
- Transfer to a 2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle
- with Parmesan cheese. Cover and bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes
- or until rice is tender. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 3/4 cup equals 174 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 2 mg cholesterol, 386 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 6 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: 2 starch.