"I fiddled around with this dish, trying to adjust it to my family's tastes," notes Jennifer Trost from West Linn, Oregon. "When my pickiest child cleaned her plate, I knew I'd found the right flavor combination."
- 2 packages (7.2 ounces each) rice pilaf
- 2 pounds bulk pork sausage
- 6 celery ribs, chopped
- 4 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°. Prepare rice mixes according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook the sausage, celery and carrots over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- In a large bowl, combine the sausage mixture, rice, soups, onion powder, garlic powder and pepper. Transfer to two greased 11x7-in. baking dishes.
Cover and bake 40-45 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
Freeze option: Cover and freeze unbaked casseroles up to 3 months. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake as directed, increasing time as necessary to heat through and for a thermometer inserted in center to read 165°. Yield: 2 casseroles (6-8 servings each).
Originally published as Sausage Rice Casserole in Quick Cooking March/April 2004, p17
Reviews for Rice Sausage Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review