Rice Pudding Cake Recipe
The secret ingredient in this delicious cake is rice. It tastes a lot like rice pudding, only in a different form.Nancy Horsburgh, Everett, Ontario
- 5 eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup raisins
- Boiling water
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 4 cups milk
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons grated orange peel
- 2 tablespoons graham cracker crumbs
- Confectioners' sugar
- Place egg whites in a small bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, cover raisins with boiling water. Let stand for 5 minutes; drain and set aside. In a large saucepan, cover rice with water; bring to a boil. Drain the liquid; add milk to rice. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until rice is tender; set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks. Add the rice mixture, raisins and orange peel. Beat egg whites until stiff; fold into batter. Spoon into a greased 10-in. tube pan. Sprinkle with crumbs.
- Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Immediately invert pan; cool completely, about 1 hour.
- Run a knife around side and center tube of pan. Remove cake to a serving plate. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Serve warm or chilled. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Originally published as Rice Pudding Cake in Country Woman May/June 1996, p38
Reviews for Rice Pudding Cake(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review