I like to have a package of rice papers and noodles on hand for quick and easy appetizer ideas. I've used thin or thick rice noodles for these rolls with equal success. —Lori Stefanishion, Drumheller, Alberta
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 ounces uncooked thin rice noodles
- 2 teaspoons hoisin sauce, optional
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, julienned
- 1 medium cucumber, seeded and julienned
- 1 medium carrot, julienned
- 12 rice papers (8 inches) or spring roll wrappers
- 1/2 cup dry roasted peanuts, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves, optional
- In a small saucepan, saute the garlic and pepper flakes in oil for 1-2 minutes or until garlic is tender. Add the water, peanut butter, hoisin sauce and tomato paste; cook and stir for 2-4 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; set aside.
- For rolls, cook noodles according to package directions. Drain and rinse in cold water; drain well. Add hoisin sauce if desired; toss to coat. In a small bowl, combine the red pepper, cucumber and carrot. Set aside noodles and vegetables.
- Fill a shallow bowl with water. Soak a rice paper in the water just until pliable, 30-45 seconds (depending on thickness of rice papers); remove, allowing excess water to drip off.
- Place on a flat surface. Layer vegetables and noodles down the center; top with peanuts and, if desired, cilantro. Fold both ends over filling; fold one long side over the filling, then roll up tightly. Place seam side down on a serving platter. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
- Cover with damp paper towels until serving. Cut rolls diagonally in half; serve with peanut sauce. Yield: 1 dozen.
Originally published as Rice Paper Rolls in Taste of Home December/January 2012, p106
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
Reviews for Rice Paper Rolls
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review