Rice on the Grill
"My husband loves to barbecue, so when it's hot outside, we do entire meals on the grill," writes Shirley Hopkins of Olds, Alberta. "Since our kids love rice, we often include this tangy side dish as part of the menu," she informs.
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1-1/3 cups uncooked instant rice
- 1/3 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon butter
- In a 9-in. round disposable foil pan, combine the first seven
- ingredients. Dot with butter. Cover with heavy-duty foil; seal edges
- Grill, covered, over medium heat for 12-15 minutes or until liquid is
- absorbed. Remove foil carefully to allow steam to escape. Fluff with
- a fork. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (prepared with low-sodium broth and reduced-fat margarine) equals 104 calories, 195 mg sodium, trace cholesterol, 21 gm carbohydrate, 2 gm protein, 2 gm fat, 1 gm fiber. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable.