Rice Mix Meatballs
"Mom prepared these easy meatballs with a thick gravy often when I was growing up," relates Marcy Paden of Louisville, Nebraska. "Now I make them for my family as a nice change of pace from hamburgers. With just five ingredients - including a boxed rice mix - they're a snap to whip up.
8-10 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1 package (6.8 ounces) beef-flavored rice mix
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 2-1/2 cups boiling water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- Set contents of rice seasoning packet aside. In a large bowl, combine
- rice and egg. Crumble beef over rice mixture and mix well. Shape
- into 1-in. balls. In a large skillet over medium heat, brown the
- meatballs on all sides.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine reserved seasoning packet and
- boiling water. Add to skillet; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or
- until the rice is tender. Combine cornstarch and cold water until
- smooth; add to skillet. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes
- or until thickened. Yield: 8-10 servings.