Rice Croquettes Recipe
As a newlywed, I used to agonize over meal preparation. Now I enjoy trying new recipes, and some - like this tasty side dish - turn out to be very popular with my family. These croquettes are crisp and golden and add some fun to a simple dinner like roast chicken and salad. -Lucia Edwards, Cotati, California
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 2-1/4 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- Canola oil
- Additional fresh parsley, optional
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Add rice; saute 3 minutes. Stir in broth and parsley; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Cool for 30 minutes.
- 2. Stir in egg, cheese, basil and pepper. Moisten hands with water and shape 1/4 cupfuls into logs. Roll in crumbs.
- 3. In an electric skillet, heat 1/4 in. of oil to 365°. Fry croquettes, a few at a time, for 3-4 minutes or until crisp and golden, turning often. Drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with parsley if desired. Yield: 16 croquettes.
1 serving (2 each) equals 177 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 38 mg cholesterol, 452 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 6 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC