Rice Croquettes Recipe
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 2-1/4 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- Canola oil
- Additional fresh parsley, optional
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Add rice; saute 3 minutes. Stir in broth and parsley; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Cool for 30 minutes.
- 2. Stir in egg, cheese, basil and pepper. Moisten hands with water and shape 1/4 cupfuls into logs. Roll in crumbs.
- 3. In an electric skillet, heat 1/4 in. of oil to 365°. Fry croquettes, a few at a time, for 3-4 minutes or until crisp and golden, turning often. Drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with parsley if desired. Yield: 16 croquettes.
2 each: 177 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 38mg cholesterol, 452mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Reviews for Rice Croquettes
"I liked these, but they were a lot of work and made a big mess of the deep fryer. My husband thought them bland so I won't be making them again."
"As a child I used to help my mom make these rice croquettes. The only difference is that she added cheddar cheese in addition to the parmesean which gave it a wonderful, cheesy flavor. She also deep fried them. I am so glad to have finally found the basic recipe!"
"I'm using this rice croquettes recipe as the basis for a side dish to go with a small pork tenderloin roast.There was pork fried rice leftover from a previous dinner, so I took it out of the freezer to make the croquettes.Tastes wonderful!"
"I saw this recipe from Lucia in the Taste of Home magazine many years ago (around 12?). Anyway, I tried it and my family absolutely loved it. I have been making it ever since, and if you ask all 3 of my kids "what is your favorite thing your Mom makes for you", I quarantee the unanimous answer would be "rice croquettes". I have tons of recipes and honestly, if I had to choose my favorite staple, this would be it. I am surprised that nobody has rated it yet...please try it because it is an awesome recipe. Thanks, Lucia, for many years of these yummy croquettes...my kids thank you too!!"