- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1 can (14 ounces) water-packed artichoke hearts, rinsed, drained and chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- CHEESE-STUFFED RICE BALLS:
- 3 eggs
- 2-1/2 cups cooked rice
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 2/3 cup grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 ounces cubed Galbani® Part Skim Mozzarella Cheese
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- In a large saucepan, cook beef, onion and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the next nine ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- For rice balls, in a large bowl, lightly beat 2 eggs. Stir in the rice, butter, Parmesan cheese, parsley, salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate for 20 minutes. Roll into 1-1/2-in. balls. Press a mozzarella cube into each; reshape balls.
- In a small bowl, lightly beat remaining egg. Dip each ball into egg, then roll in bread crumbs. In a deep-fat fryer or electric skillet, heat oil to 375°. Fry rice balls until golden brown, about 4 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Discard bay leaves. Serve meat sauce with rice balls. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews for Rice Balls with Meat Sauce
Sort By :
"I love these rice-balls!! I do however, add a some other ingredients... a few handfuls of chopped fresh organic spinach, 1/2 cup/one cup of peas, 2 tablespoons of organic Flax Seed (to sneak in something healthy ;) I didn't have cubed mozzarella so I used a few handfuls of shredded mozzarella. I also added some breadcrumbs to mix because my rice mixture was on the moist side.If using minute rice... 4 servings is enough for this recipe."
"My family loves these. My kids, who are very picky, ask for these frequently. I use my own sauce, though, so I can't comment on the sauce."
"This is my daughters favorite recipe! It is really good!"
"I have wanted to make the rice balls in this recipe since I first saw it. The mix was very sticky but well worth the effort.I used my on sauce on the riceballs and they were good. I'm so happy I finally tried it. Thanks for a great recipe."