Rice and Barley Salad Recipe
Chock-full of colorful veggies and fresh garden flavor, this hearty, mouthwatering salad is almost a meal in itself! Shared by Lee Massa, it’s a favorite with her family in Mulberry, Kansas.—Lee Ruth Massa, Mulberry, Kansas
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup uncooked instant brown rice
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 each large green and sweet yellow pepper, chopped
- 1 large sweet yellow pepper, chopped
- 1 jar (2 ounces) diced pimientos, drained
- 1/3 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1. In a small saucepan, bring water and barley to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until barley is tender. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the boiling water and rice; cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the beans, peppers, pimientos, onion, parsley, barley and rice. In a small bowl, whisk the oil, vinegar, garlic, sugar and seasonings. Stir into barley mixture. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
3/4 cup equals 169 calories, 6 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 254 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC