Rice and Barley Pilaf Recipe
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup uncooked wild rice
- 1/4 cup medium pearl barley
- 1/4 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1/2 pound baby portobello mushrooms, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine broth and wild rice. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in barley and brown rice; cover and simmer for 40-45 minutes or until grains are tender and the liquid is absorbed.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, saute the mushrooms, onion and celery in butter and oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the rice mixture, cheese, cream and pepper; heat through. Yield: 6 servings.
1/2 cup equals 176 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 13 mg cholesterol, 363 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 7 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 fat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable.
Reviews for Rice and Barley Pilaf
"Perfect the way it is. Delicious!"
"needs more spices, not sure what, but will experiment."